• Question: Hi, what happens when someone gets electrocuted? What is it that kills them? Also, I heard people say "it's the amps that kill you not the volts". So, what voltage/amperage is dangerous? For example, is anything over 24V 1A dangerous? Thanks.

    Asked by Aaron to Colin on 20 Nov 2014.
    • Photo: Colin Johnston

      Colin Johnston answered on 20 Nov 2014:

      Electrocution causes death by stopping the heart or sometimes severe tissue damage to other organs. Even a small electric current (less than an amp) can dangerously upset the heart’s rhythm, while larger currents (over an amp) will cause permanent tissue damage and burns.

      Essentially it is the power that kills, this depends on the amperage of the source and its voltage. I can’t give safety advice other than to treat all electrical currents as potentially dangerous.